March 20, 2012

Jordan Miller: Finding Home, Searching Self

Jordan Miller's Solo Exhibition
The Piano Nobile Gallery, 555 Main Street, 2nd floor
Reception: March 26, 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm o
Open to general public
FREE
Music by Dave Swiecicki & Scott Hinkson
Open Feb 28 - May 6 to ticket holders 
or by appt. with Justin, curator: 221-5446 ($20/hr) 

Finding Home, Searching Self began as a journey of change, growth, and rebirth. 

In 31 years, I moved 21 times and lived in five communities and eight Winnipeg neighborhoods.  In 2011, after living in Winnipeg for 13 years, I purchased my first home.  I feel like I found my place deep within downtown, drawn in by the Exchange District's historic buildings, active night-life, artistic hub, and energy. 

Finding Home, took eight months to produce, the same number of months it took to purchase my true “home” and the number of different homes I have lived in, in Winnipeg.

This exhibition led me to discover what I truly wanted in a home. Each step transformed the artworks into something new, similar to my journey to discover a home.  As 2011 ended, I found home for the first time, in my city, with my art.

Jordan Leigh Miller graduated from the University of Manitoba's School of Art with a BFA (honours) in 2002 and from the University of Winnipeg's Arts and Cultural Management program in 2008. 
She is the director and co-owner of cre8ery gallery.  In 2010, Jordan exhibited 364 pieces in an exhibition called “Life Structures and Other Personalities”. In 2011, Jordan won the 35th Annual Woman of Distinction for the Arts Award. 

No comments:

Post a Comment